Back to top

Our Story

St Chad's carnival in the 1930s with men, women and children in traditional clothing. Taken with a black and white photograph

Birth of our church

St Chad’s was built in 1933, following a small beginning in a tin hut - which was all that was to be had in those early days...
When the church was completed crowds lined the street of New Moston in thanksgiving. In those early days, this church was the community hub, with its choir, packs of scouts and guides with Brownies and Cubs of course; Confirmation Guild, Mothers Union and much more..., providing a great grounding in faith and community practice for all.

Chad was a prominent 7th century Anglo-Saxon churchman, who became abbot of several monasteries, Bishop of the Northumbrians and subsequently Bishop of the Mercians and Lindsey People. He was later canonised as a saint.
Born: Kingdom of Northumbria
Died: March 2, 672 AD, Lichfield

 

Find out where

Worship and prayer have continued here over the years, children have been baptised, couples married and people given the solemn dignity of their last rites, whilst families shared in their remembrances with time in church.